Monday, April 19, 2010

Attention: Field to Missionary

I once had an enlightening discussion with one of my mentors about the problem of modern communication and its effect on missionaries' performance on the field. The issue according to this western career missionary was that the present crop of missionaries never leave home courtesy of the internet and mobile phone. Today, I want to discuss another problem on modern communication, the missionary and the "field"; potential sabotage.

A ministry I worked with is going through a transition and a couple from the west is coming here to head the ministry. The husband whom I will refer to as Mr. MK is an mk (missionary kid). After decades living in his “country of origin”, he came back to Kenya on several mission trips while exploring the possibility of a long term missionary career. In the last visit, the following posts were put up;

"FINALLY! Internet Connection of a normal speed. Hello world! Sat in Nairobi traffic for 2 hours today....to go 2 miles. Almost hit a Zebra on the way here. Family was forced out of the car yesterday because a monkey got in it. KENYA...What an adventure."


"Coming Home tommorow... can't wait for traffic laws that actually are obeyed!"



I don't know why but I expected better from one who lived/ studied here early on in life and after a few short term trips.

His lovely bride put this statement up for our collective consideration:

"Great Trip. I am well, but looking so forward to normal food. Will write more, my trip was such a blessing. Short internet opportunity. More later."


I was in for more. An article (since removed thank God!) was put up last night by his wife. It was an update on their last visit to all their friends as well as an invitation to support their ministry in “Africa”. Can I just say that I hate it when people say that. There are like 52 countries in africa and they like have NAMES!?

Now that thats off my chest, allow me to enlighten you with some of the contents of the post. While this is not entirely a direct quotation, it reproduces the ideas put forward.

vision: there is this orphanage started by these europeans who just built and abandoned it. I would like to get more teams and money from home in order to help. Every time we have gone for short term trips,their store was empty and we stocked it. I dont know what they eat rest of time.

Pray for the kids;
that God will help them to process the level of poverty they will witness and especially because they will not have the things they are used to having

Pray for me;
I am going to have to leave the kids at school and am afraid for their safety
I am afraid that i will be stopped by police with machine guns threatening jail if i dont bribe them
I will have to get used to dogs barking at night at people obviously bent on mischief

Allow me to mention that the children in question are all of five and three and the school could be ranked with the likes of braeburn and ISK. By the way, the location of their home would be the equivalent of Karen. Um, i am pretty sure our police carry a kalashnikov. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Pray for finances: we will be going around speaking in an effort to raise support and will have to return twice a year to do the same.

oh yes:

I have to buy and pack everything I need for 10 years in a crate. Its 10 by 20ft and will cost $6,000 to transport. We'll be packing furniture, washer/dryer, mattress, etc.


Wow, i know its the third world and everything but the last time i checked, we like have shopping malls and actually they stock mattresses. Vocabulary to consider; Nakumatt. Oh dear but there is a problem with that:

pray for us because i dont know if i can trust the milk we buy in those pouches. I dont know if it was delivered by donkey.

Pray for us because we will have to live out of suitcases for a few weeks with lounge chairs for furniture.


Why, dont you know we still swing around in the trees? You should see where your plane will land....its in the forest complete with lions and everything!..

Now i have played host for western short termers for a while. I have been mentored by and continue to maintain friendships with both short term and long term imperfect missionaries that i love and respect. However, i have say that this is the first time someone has rubbed me the wrong way quite effectively their ignorance and insensitivity.

The fact is that on the friends lists of this couple are the people they will minister with/to. The chances that these people did not read these posts, fast or slow internet, is slim to none courtesy of a little gadget called the mobile phone which (drumrolls please) is used to access facebook. Gasp. Imagine that. Now, I don't know what is worse; that they read the posts and were not offended or that they did and took offence.

In any case, one thing am betting on is that no one will mention it. No one would want to confront them even though they are offended because we would rather not shame them. Instead, people will just put them in the mzungu category. Believe me, that is not a compliment. Worse, if you are a missionary who wants to fit into the culture (not that their expressions signal such intentions), it is the sound of a door slamming shut.

I am praying i never have to work with them because i would be hard pressed to be patient let alone gracious. I know the reason they say they are coming and I believe them but I have a question. Why are they coming?

6 comments:

  1. Lord, help me to be who you want me to be where ever I am. Help me to be aware and care... and Eve, if I ever say anything like that, don't worry about "shaming" me- just tell me, please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for posting this. there are a lot of wazungu who need to hear it -- of which i am one. i've only been in tanzania a short time, and have already made many mistakes, i'm sure. may God be gracious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just trying to think of how you could analyze some of my blog posts. I try to avoid saying things like this, but I'm sure I do sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your comments. Generally speaking, i would say that if your response to this was analysis of your past writings, you may have made mistakes but i doubt they would rival this example.

    Kelly, i wish it was as simple as walking up to you. Its a cultural thing. Its difficult to do that with anyone but even worse with people you care about or are in a position of authority. Its about protecting relationships as much as possible. Confrontations carry the threat of potential relational problems thus suffering in silence is better by a long way.

    David, I actually enjoy your posts so you definitely havent written anything that has raised my hackles yet.

    Thank you bwana Jamesbrett. Its probably true that you've made mistakes. The missionaries ive known havent been perfect but they were teachable ie they asked questions, listened and observed. That got them off the hook many times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @eve. I'm sorry, how is silence better? It reflects a very old (read, 1940's) idea that silence is better in improving relationships. And your note that it is because you are in authourity, is also disturbing. You're traveling to another country and you consider people there as 'under your charge'. Problematic to missions is this continuing implied mindset that the "West" is better. I'm afraid that superiority leaks out in the tone of your comments, and it seems you might have missed the point of the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would recommend reading books like When Helping Hurts or Toxic Charity or Walking with the Poor.....

    ReplyDelete